Saturday, August 27, 2011

HAIKU Mug Rug Swap on Flickr



I have really enjoyed being able to create these mini works of art (or experimenting with different styles, designs, mediums, fabric) called Mug Rugs. This past month I needed to create a Haiku that fit my swap partners style. Then I had to translate it into a mug rug.  I went through a whole design process, collecting fabrics that I thought were a part of her chosen color palette, developing a theme, writing a Haiku, and then sewing the final project.

A.  Audition Fabrics...............B.   Pencil Drawing 
Is this bright enough? Perhaps not...back to the stash....
A.   The responses from fellow flickr members was favorable that I had a palette that was A ok...Off to procure a bit more Dr. Seuss, a couple of contrast colors and something a bit swirly.....

B.    Next pencil, paper, draw, reject, draw again. I wanted to post a bit of a "SNEAKY PEAKY......" on my flickr post but I didn't want to give away the final design.
 Pattern and fabric in hand I made my way to the cutting table. Pins and scissors and scraps began to fly...I stopped....YIKES....How do I put the Haiku on the mug rug???? I had been reading about this nifty paper that you can print on using your computers printer... Off to Joanne's, I found many many types of printable fabric I purchased the Avery ).  I loaded the printer, typed in the Haiku, chose a font and hit print...
I was amazed, if only I had purchases a new ink cartridge  it might have been a bit more bold...but alas...Haiku is in its intended place on the little mug rug...
My curiosity was peaked...Joanne's is 45 miles from home and a bit pricey...Could I find another way to print on fabric and what would photos look like..HMMMMMM.......  
  • Step one: Stiffen the fabric so that it will go through the printer without the dreaded jam...
  • Step two: Attach the fabric to something that will keep it flat and allow the printer to move easily
  • Step three: Easily attach what you have printed to your project
Keep your fingers crossed.  I grabbed the wax paper, the fabric and the iron. I didn't have any luck with this process. I couldn't get the waxed paper to stick.  I will have to research this method a bit more.
I needed a project in the mail ASAP...SO.......I pulled out my can of spray starch.  (I had used this method when working with a process in which you need to develop sharp curves,could it work here?)  and a piece of basic muslin and headed for the ironing board.
Multiple sprays and much ironing gave me a fairly stiff piece of muslin. Step one accomplished. Step two and three were accomplished with  a bit of "Wonder Under" by Pellon. I had added this to the photo paper after printing to attach the Haiku...Why not get rid of one step? The Wonder Under provides the stiff paper backing  and allows you to attach the fabric easily to whatever project you are working on.. I headed for the copier..dropped the copy on the bed..hit print and it worked... Check it out below!!!!! These were postcard backs needed for a fabric postcard swap!!!!!
No more afternoon frantic runs to Brunswick... I have 2 cans of spray starch, bunches of fabric and a bolt of Wonder Under purchased with a 50% off coupon.... YEAH..Just a bit of Yankee Ingenuity paying off...
Here it is the Big Reveal....I was able to take out names but there are still some pretty significant clues if my swap buddy checks my blog.......

No comments:

Post a Comment